Apr 14, 2005

A fine egg cream

Follow these 10 easy steps to carbonated-heaven!

  1. No damned Hershey's syrup! Get something like Fox's U-Bet™ instead.

  2. Get a bottle of plain seltzer. Be wary of super cheap kinds; sometimes their gas comes out of solution too quickly.

  3. Ready a tall glass (the shit will bubble up so a mug won't cut it).

  4. What is I'm talkin' bout? I said No Damned Hershey's Syrup!!

  5. Squeeze about 1/3 inch of chocolate syrup in the glass.

  6. Add about an inch of milk (2% or up. None o' that froo froo skim stuff).

  7. Stir the syrup & milk together first, otherwise you get non-chocolately seltzer flavored fizz on top. S'no goot.

  8. Add the seltzer until the glass is ~3/4 full.

  9. Stir it a bit, watch out for volcanic overflow.

  10. Stick a straw in it. You're done.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, maybe I'll try it!
blue2go

Anonymous said...

So is it ok to use Hershey's syrup in this? It's all I have handy. And will alka seltzer work?

Anonymous said...

No Hershey's, huh? Well, I thought that was the very bestest stuff there is. Okay, I'll take your word for it, even with the conspicuous absence of egg from egg cream.

glomgold said...

Um, yeah. I don't remember what the story is about the origins of the name. Regardless, it probably falls into that same urban folklore bubble along with the saltwater taffy business down in Atlantic City. But chocolate soda just doesn't sound as 'special'.

glomgold said...

Oh. And please do try it!
The alka-seltzer will work for after I've punched you in the belly for having disobeyed my "no hershey's" mandate!

katie said...

I'll be back shortly with a review.

Violet said...

where's the egg?