Apr 12, 2005

Church vs. Chicken*

Never has the death of one, who meant so much to so many, meant so little to one (me). Sorry. Trying to be all dramatic and "Churchill-y". Not to sound callous but I'm referring to the pope, who seemed like a decent old fellow. Being raised non-religious I guess I just don't get the hubbub surrounding popes. Are they 'more human than human' or something?
Ok, I've read some things about them and the Church's power/land grabs after the fall of the Romans. And maybe, along with Reagan, JP2 laid low the USSR. And perhaps he told Catholics to stop hatin' on the Jews. And maybe he officially declared that the Church would no longer use war to further their cause, though you'd think SOME pope would've stated this at some time between the Crusades and now, no? The bottom line is, what's this got to do with me? He didn't conveniently package tasty chicken parts for purchase from the supermarket. Baring that fact in mind I'll have to say the death of Frank Perdue probably has a more direct impact on my life.
Those two chaps were about the same age. I have a fun time imagining them competing against each other in some corporate softball tourneys in their younger days. "Frank's got a devilish riseball!!" "Lay off the high ones, Pope!" "mule!" "nag!" or whatever chatter that happens during softball/baseball games (I'm obviously basing this from non-Kevin Costner baseball movies).

If anyone was offended by this post, please direct all angry comments to: gwbush@big-oil.hugegovt.whitehaus.gov (this guy is "punch-in-the-face" worthy)

*No not Church's Chicken the place with the tasty biscuits. If you want delicious fastfood chicken (and seemingly the only place on the east coast that serves horchata) check out Guatemalan sensation: Pollo Campero. Warning: site contains music. An awful/catchy jingle in fact. "todo me gusta, me gusta todo!"

7 comments:

Violet said...

Yeah, the Pope's death has been on the news all week. It's so boring.

Anonymous said...

I always liked the Pope. He was a good guy. But he couldn't compete with chicken.
The Pope and chicken are on a different spiritual plane..

katie said...

Yes I realize you SAY this post is not about Church's chicken, but the mere mention of the place makes me very hungry. So thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

An interesting comparison, and now I'm hungry, too.
blue2go

Mr Anigans said...

mmmm....how i long for the days when the white castle/church's chicken was just around the corner.

glomgold said...

Ahh, see I KNEW chicken trumped the Church!

Nick Danger said...

Did you know the last pontiff appointed an one-hundred-eighteenth Cardinal? He has kept his identity and location a secret. Its not even public knowledge exactly who knows who the Cardinal is. The Cardinal is widely believed to be the cardinal to China. To reveal him would be to sentence him to death.