Sep 9, 2005

DVD Reviews!

If you're like everyone else, and from my perspective you ARE everyone else, you've avoided movie theaters like the plague. DVDs are the way to go! But do you know which to queue up in Netflix? Randomly selecting new films off the shelf at BlockClassActionLawsuitBuster is like playing Russian roulette; unless you're lucky, you're scrod* (ie. for those prices you could've BOUGHT a good DVD). Fear not. God©Has®Wheels Inc. gots the skinny on recent DVD releases.

Sin City - Based on a graphic novel. This is the initial "screw you consumer, in 2 months time we'll release a special edition DVD" version.
Upside of Anger - Kevin Costner. Skip.
Kung Fu Hustle - Won't stray far from the stylings of previous Stephen Chow films such as "Shaolin Soccer", "From Beijing With Love", & "The God of Cookery". And why should it? Those movies rock! There's a reason he's the Hong Kong King of Slapstick.
Paris Is Burning - An incendiary documentary dealing with gonorrhea and the dipshit rich bitch who spreads it around. Stick with the old U.S. Navy propaganda film "USS VD: Ship of Shame". A classic.
The Cave - Some shit about CGI monsters in a cave... wait, this is still in theaters?! I could've sworn it'd be direct-to-video.
Guess Who - I have no idea.
The Wedding Date - This may or may not deal with Owen Wilson & Vince Vaughn crashing weddings. Or it might have something to do with J-Lo pairing up with a much more talented actor who uses a full name. Quite possibly it's some big, fat, Greek thing. Is Hugh Grant in this?
Because of Winn-Dixie - How come we no longer have stores named Bambergers? Or Gimbals? Is it because of Winn-Dixie? I may have to watch this...
Constantine - Actor extraordinaire Keanu Reeves is back! Whoa! Do you know some Hawaiians call him a 'fake Hawaiian'? Bogus!
To Kill a Mockingbird - If I have to describe this all hope for you is lost.

*fun new way to say 'screwed'
I have yet to view any of these

12 comments:

glomgold said...

Wow, this was some fast spam.

PBS said...

I loved "Sin City" but then I didn't have to rent or buy it, just watched a friend's copy! Great review, I always like to read funny reviews on movies, cereal or music!

Violet said...

We watched Constantine last night, and the boy is watching it again this afternoon. I'm not so much into the Catholic mythology, but he sure is.

portuguesa nova said...

That was an incredibly informative movie review. I only got the Guess Who joke several minutes after. I'm that bright.

L said...

I skip ANYTHING with Kevin Costner in it....

Mayo said...

The sad thing is I have not seen any of the above mentioned movies but watch movies on a daily, lack of cable makes for good a excuse (cable is evil anyway). Although I have the case for Kung Fu Hustle in my living room, I think my friend played a not so humerouse joke and used it to bring over Ong Bak...some thai kick boxing movie which looks very dramatic but goooood. A REALLY GOOD MOVIE THAT EVERYONE WHOULD SEE IS CODE 46, it was quiet good, but if you watch it someone, make sure they are not republican, inbred, ignorant, or desincitized. It takes all the passion out of the moment....shit....what a long comment. CHOW.

Martini Love said...

Constantine is the WORST movie EVER... I want my money back I have even thought of writing Keanu a letter to tell him to send me my $4 renting fee because it sucked SO BAD!!

katie said...

The upside of anger= 2 hours of my life I will never get back.

glomgold said...

I thank you all for confirming many of my suspicions about these movies which I've yet to see.
And thanks for mentioning 'Code 46'; that's one I'd completely forgotten but was very interested in seeing.
And let me iterate, if you can find 'USS VD: Ship of Shame' get it. You won't regret it!

Rainypete said...

Dammit! I got excited when I read the title "Paris Is Burning"

I thought it was going to be an entertaining romp where a hotel heiress is set atop a large pile of lumber and roasted like a marshmallow.

Intead it's a highly improbable film about STD's. How could anything that vacuous and unappealing get exposed to an STD? Who in their right mind would provide the S??

glomgold said...

I think that was also the title of a Dokken song.

Adrienne said...

I so AGREE with L on skipping anything that has Kevin Costner in it. The only movie he was in that I liked was Dances With Wolves.

The last mistake I saw at the theater was Madagascar. Please don't bother renting either.

I'm done giving Hollywood money.