Sep 23, 2005

Johnnie Cochran dead. Species extinct.

Flipped through the New Yorker magazine recently. It contained an 84 page special section dedicated to the "city's top lawyers". Believe it or not ~75% of the photos were middle-aged Jewish men, 24% were other middle-aged white guys, leaving 1% for 'the rest'. Not until possibly pg. 78 did I spot the first woman (white) and then there was maybe one more at the very end. Skintones never ran deeper than "pale". Crazy I know! Where's Ripley?

EXTRA! -- Opera web browser is now 100% free. No mo' ads, no mo' reg codes. IE users have no excuse not to switch over immediately. "It is God's will!!"*
*This expression stems from a misunderstanding due to the thick nature of the Southern drawl. They're actually saying "It is God's WHEEL", as in, "our great wheeled god will run you the fuck over if you don't do what we say."**
**You know I'm making this crap up.*** But Opera is free. Get it.
***The lawyer thing is real too.

6 comments:

Mayo said...

page 78? so much for womens lib....78?

Anonymous said...

Ha! My daughter's latest career plan is law, and she is as white as they come. She'll fit right in.

Violet said...

What - so are all the young Asians in accounting and medicine then? :-)

Omni said...

To be a "top lawyer," it helps to have connections... to other top lawyers, and how many women or minorities have those connections?

PBS said...

I really like "The New Yorker" but what you wrote is so sadly true. Maybe it's only mostly middle-aged white guys who WANT to be lawyers? (bad lawyer joke!)

Nigel G Mitchell said...

Free Opera? That's all I needed. I feel bad, though, that they couldn't make a profit on it. But not as bad as I would have if I hadn't bought a copy, then discovered with the new version that the $30 I paid was worthless and they wanted more money from me.