Sep 6, 2005

RIP mpg. Hello Smpm.

My PC's power supply kicked the bucket. T'was a slow march to death peppered by tantrums and an aroma not unlike roasting dates but the small guy served me well for many years. The Hervé Villechaize of my computing Fantasy Island. Unwilling to wait days for a mail-order replacement, I quested at the local 'pooter stores. Because a certain computer superstore has run all brick & mortar competition into the ground it was less 'stores' and more 'variations on the same thing'. 'Tech desk' guy #1 informed me they might have one unit left of what I was looking for but that they probably THREW ALL THOSE SMALL OLD POWER SUPPLIES AWAY!! That was the extent of his usefulness which was actually better than the 'tech guys' at their other locations.

Due to skyrocketing gas costs *ahem*sham, crude oil prices are actually lower than in august when refineries cut its production and were stockpiling it*cough*gas stations are price-gouging*hack hack* each trip out in the car means one less meal I could've bought instead. Since I was already out I tried some different chains too, ones even less likely to stock the item. Luckily a clerk informed me of a local independently owned PC shop which actually had what I needed! The owner knew her stuff so I gladly paid the ass-reaming price one incurs when purchasing at mom 'n pop shops. The new unit unfortunately consumes twice the electricity of the old. Boo!! But has an additional output to connect a spare hard drive (which I have). Yay!! Unfortunately the cable is too short to reach. BOO!!!

We need a new measuring system, one to which Jane or Joe Consumer can relate. One that forces them to realize the severity of this energy crunch. How about 'Swedish meatballs per mile' (Smpm)? Let's say a plate of Ikea Swedish meatballs costs $6 for 8 meatballs. That's about 4.05 meatballs/gallon for regular, 4.31 for plus, & 4.47 for premium (according to AAA's listing of today's national avgs). Thus a tricked out Hummer H2 gobbles 0.41 Smpm. Awfully greedy compared to a Honda Insight which eats like a bird at 0.06 Smpm. I'm sorry this is all in English units (ranting post to follow sometime soon). I would convert things to km, litres, etc. but I don't know the currency conversions and I'm sure petrol prices vary greatly betwixt nations.

8 comments:

Rainypete said...

Aren't the massaive chain stores fun? My theory is that obselescence is actually a construct of their marleting department.

Things don't live out their full life cycle, these stores prematurely terminate them by taking them off the shelves. This way the more uninformed consumers decide it is old and dead and then move on.

katie said...

Yum. Meatballs. You lost me with the other stuff.

Happy and Blue 2 said...

The old parts your big chain stores disgard really is sent to where I live. It's all new to us..

PBS said...

Yep, I think the old stuff goes to discount stores, then to the dollar stores.

Adrienne said...

This is totally off topic but you MUST go here:

http://www.wackyplanet.com/butt-face-towel.html

sumo said...

Heh heh...I noticed that the man had the "butt" end of the towel.

glomgold said...

rp- Yeah, they sure are a hoot. I was practically tossed from the store for having a PC from 2000. It still does most things fine and I'm probably considered a "power user"

katie- Meatballs & meatloaf. A slice of heaven! Or a little ball of heaven

hb2- We may have to set up some sort of exchange program

pbs- Doh! I should've checked the dollar store. Plus I need a bottle of Shasta cola and no one else is gonna carry that shit!

adrienne- I can't believe I'm an idea plagiarist!! I KNEW I should've written this crap down in '93

sumo- The guy looks like a buttface

Mayo said...

I think it has been said we as people in our broke ass society hate suces. What I think it boiles down to is the gluntany in which success becomes. Everything can be done in exess: walmart (#1 wall to wall shit), Best Buy (what the f&*% does that tell you right there),How about target, a bullseye as a logo. These are.....sh%&*#.....I just knocked over the paper shredder, I had s good point but who knows.....chow....