Sep 2, 2005

I'm serious. I'm crou-tingly

We all need distractions from life's misery, especially recently. One way is via the Borowitz Report a fake news site in the vein of the Onion and the now defunct Space Ghost Daily News. Another is via hobbies. In the past week I've slowly ventured back onto the basketball courts, and for one glorious day I returned to my old high-energy, defensive, shot-popping, rebounding ways. Yesterday however was not that day.

The level of brutality on the court was ridiculous and I of no health insurance found that venturing into the paint and leaving my feet were two risks I became unwilling to take. This, I'm sure, was much to the chagrin of my friend who was forced to do a lot more of the heavy lifting. Playing in trepidation is no way to play, however sustaining a broken ankle and just having to "live with it" is probably no way to live and I was unwilling to test this supposition. Anyway I'm already nursing a bad collarbone, knee, and wrists right now and the charlie horses, bruised sternum, jammed fingers, stomped toes, knee to the ass, porkchop to the chin, and nutshots ought to account for something...

In honor of the NBA's fast approaching season, some recent favorite memories:
Shawn Marion wins jumpball, sprints toward wrong basket to dunk, and is mid-flight before realizing his error.
Yao Ming schooling Shaq. Yao Ming pulling the old Olajuwon Dream Shake.
NBA jokers like doing stoopit posturing after nasty dunks or blocks. A common move is the "finger to the lips to hush the opposing crowd". Ricky Davis did it to his own home fans! These idiots really should think for a second sometimes. Are you listening Kobe 'rapist' Bryant??!! (his rape was definitely NOT one of my favorite plays).

9 comments:

katie said...

Out out, damn spamers.

I'm going to say this and run- I can't get into the NBA. Maybe because we don't have a team, but watching it on the television is the pits. I DO like college ball though.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're getting back into the swing of things, though it sounds like you could be a little more Rodman-y under the basket.

Hey, I thought of you yesterday while I was devouring half a box of Yogurt Burst Cheerios while driving around wasting gas. You should try that one, although not while driving around, because those things get all ground in to the upholstery and the carpet.

sumo said...

I think I may have missed something along the line. Have you injured yourself? I am mighty sorry for you if you have. Sincere condolences to your boo boos.

PBS said...

Wow, sounds like your poor body has taken a beating, what happened to cause all of that?

I can't get into NBA either, they just run back and forth and make just about every shot, not enough artistry, drama or struggle for me to retain interest.

glomgold said...

katie- I can't help it; I love the NBA in spite of itself and all that I hate about it.

suzi- No Rodman! I'll try to be more Charles Oakley under the boards though. Why, how nice to be though of! I saw that cereal in the stores and thought I might not dig the yogurt + cereal thing, though I love both. Maybe I'll give it a try. I'm always looking for suggestions.

sumo- thanks. it's just bumps and bruises that go with playing basketball, though I could certainly do without the cheap shots to the ol' jewels

pbs- I dunno what's up with the wrists & collarbone but everything else is from basketball. Actually, there is not nearly enough people hitting outside shots in the NBA. You have to watch international contests or the WNBA for that.

I feel quite bad the women's league has had a rough time getting traction. They're much more fun to watch in the Olympics and play a purer form of the game for those of us who aren't athletic freaks. Maybe if the other league won out instead of this NBA-piggyback one.

glomgold said...

(just so no one thinks katie's nuts, I removed the spam)

Happy and Blue 2 said...

It sounds to me like you have picked the wrong hobbie.
I hear that stamp collecting is safe. Just don't lick the stamps or touch their pointy edges..

Rainypete said...

I gave up playing absketball when i got caught in a game of full-contact basketball, resulting in a broken ankle. I'll stick to football, at least there you're expecting to get tackeld.

katie said...

He he. Thanks, I was actually starting to think I was nuts.