Nov 20, 2005

Potter Mania!

That's right folks, the world is once again swept up in Potter Mania and I'll be a monkey's uncle if Mr. Potter isn't keen on buying up the Bailey Building and Loan, the scoundrel! That is, unless young George will head up the business in the wake of his father's death. But he was planning on shakin' the dust of that crummy little town off of his feet and seeing the world. Careful George or your new address upon your return just might be Pottersville!

So sorry, that is the wrong Mr. Potter. The hubbub actually concerns Mr. HARRY Potter, protagonist of the J.K. Rowling enterprise. You might have heard that over the past several years there's been quite the global phenomenon triggered by "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone". The book series / movies / toys / candies / knapsacks / etc. deal with a young boy who sets off to wizarding school to learn magic, face hijinks, and save the world. It's been a good bit of fun and has garnered Ms. Rowling a pretty penny to boot. As easy as the stories read you will surely be shocked to learn it was not all peaches & cream for the author. She had a tremendously difficult time creating the story arc and characters and the whole thing almost never came to pass. Even titling that first novel was a struggle. GodHasWheels has, through great difficulty and loss of life, managed to obtain a short list of alternate book titles the author initially was considering. This, kids, is a world exclusive*:

-Harry Potter and the Exorbitant Price of Petrol
-Harry Potter and the Impending Deadline
-Harry Potter and the Person Who Left Only One Bloody Crumpet in the Cupboard,       Whoever That Was.
-Harry Potter and the Last of the Valium?! Bugger!
-Harry Potter and the Certainty That Camilla Parker-Bowles is up to Something, That Strumpet!


*It's a lie. This is neither a world exclusive nor true by any means. Really, it's just horse-hockey.

12 comments:

portuguesa nova said...

Merry Christmas to you...in jail.

kim said...

That JK Rowlings really burns me up. She was quoted in a Cosmo magazine saying Harry hasn't had as much sexual experience as other boys his age because he was too busy with all his wizarding or whatever. Maybe in this upcoming film he'll use his powers to see through clothing or something.

Martini Love said...

Horse-hockey?? You're going to have to explain.

boudica of suburbia said...

isn't horse hockey just Polo?

xxB

glomgold said...

nova- that made my day like you can't imagine!

kim- Why would that Rowling lady even mention this? She'll only introduce more loopholes bringing up that kinda stuff.

martini & boudica- I can't explain it. My brother was telling me how someone used the expression at him recently. It sounds ridiculous and funny. Thulsa Doom thinks "hockey" may have morphed from "puckey" which may mean "poop".

glomgold said...

Well I guess I explained it, but I didn't really explain "it". Goddammit, I'm gonna go eat a cookie.

aprilbapryll said...

I'm not pro-Potter. That's all I have to say about that.

I would like to see Walk the Line though.

Martini Love said...

Well I kind of get the explaination but I too found it quite amusing so I'm using it.. .all over the place I will be saying "that's horse-hockey" have to its hilarious.

katie said...

So maybe I'm a freak, but I was really wondering why Harry has expressed zero interest in Herminey (don't know the spelling, haven't read the books), Harry Potter could easily turn into the next "Days of Our Lives" should he be allowed to date.

James said...

Regarding your comment on my blog, I think you'd be interested to know that your favorite martial artist and "egg" (white on the outside, yellow on the inside) Steven Seagal has a new energy drink out called "Asian Experience". Steven Seagal's Lightning Bolt Asian Experience Energy drink

glomgold said...

James, that is horrific news.
Eggs and bananas, bad combination.

sumo said...

I'm not pro-Johnny Cash...that's all I have to say about that. I wish I had her money...really...I wish I had her money...not Johnny Cash's money...but J.K. Rowling's damn money. Harry Potter is too young to be worrying about sex...but he is old enough for wizardry. Happy Thanksgiving Glomie!