Jan 7, 2005

Rapper Jin: Friend or Foe?*

As a Chinese-Vespuccian I have given much thought to whether a guy such as Jin is good or bad for people like me. I've heard some of his songs and they're no worse than other rap out there so on the one hand, he's drawing attention to our oft-overlooked demographic in a non-stereotypical way. On the other hand his look is very derivative and he does not represent my lifestyle at all. To be quite frank, that dumb sneer of his suggests he's not too intelligent in which case, perhaps, the old stereotypes would even be preferable. Now obviously ideal Asian role models are people like Jet Li and Yao Ming however, they are foreigners and I can understand if Asians born in our country might have some difficulty in relating to them. I guess we'll have to keep waiting for that Golden Child who will embody and represent everything we could hope for, and then mourn when he is assassinated by some crazed white dude.

*(If I knew how to code a survey applet I'd poll you readers on this. However, due to low readership numbers the poll results probably would be somewhere in the vicinity of "up to 100% inaccurate".)

2 comments:

Mr Anigans said...

what about william hung?

glomgold said...

I don't know much about Lang Lang but I certainly wouldn't have pegged him to be a ladykiller (except, perhaps, on the literal level). I don't have the skills to tell apart those kinds of pianists.