Jan 22, 2005

god's feeble joke

With a light dusting of snow on the ground I'd debated and finally decided it'd be a good idea to hit the local supermarket (a few miles away) for some Drake's coffee cakes because they are that damn good and I needed to treat myself after much hard studying. 9/10 of the way there within minutes, the other cars out suddenly determined that the half centimeter of accumulated powder was the sign of Ragnarok and thereupon the Shoprite parking lot became my own little Cross-Bronx Expressway; bumper to bumper traffic as far as the eye could see, which was basically the whole thing cuz c'mon, it's a parking lot. (Actually, it was no different inside Shoprite either, I assume those people were demonstrating sympathy pains by lollygagging through the aisles.) The entire ordeal became one of those automotive events where time is measured by the number of CDs listened through (I'd say 3 1/2). Occasionally I'd manage to wend my way from the end of one blocked exit line to another, revelling in the fact that I had moved and therefore had in fact accomplished something. By the end of it all, the roads did become a bit slick and much fishtailing was to be had. A thoroughly unpleasant way to spend the day and woefully they were out of the fucking Drake's cakes!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you don't get snowed in -- sans Drake cakes. Fortunately, I'm in the country of Transylvania where there's no snow storm right now, just the occasional gypsy or dracula running around.

Sara said...

How dare the gods or fates or whatever leave you without the cakes after that terror. I too was at a supermarket just as the snow began. I stayed in the car while my companions went in. A long, long time it took just to circle the lot while waiting for them, and they still hadn't come out. There was honking and much asinine and greedy veering outside appropriate driving lines.

glomgold said...

Yes, I think we've all learned something here haven't we? I don't know what actually, but it sure reeks of "lesson" somehow. They probably don't have Drake's cakes in Transylvania either I wager.

glomgold said...

Ragnarok is end-of-the-world type stuff in Norse mythology (I think those drivers were overreacting).