Feb 25, 2006

Kids=stoopid

Once upon a time...
During my childhood one cereal company was synonymous with 'pure crap'. Ralston. Excepting Cookie Crisp, which was not nearly as tasty as it's modern day variation (the "chocolate chips" would dissolve into a reddish-purplish mess in milk) Ralston's offerings were always disgusting. At some point the company became Ralston-Purina which should have been fair warning to all: "Hey kids. We manufacture but two things! Pet food and children's cereal!". Their trick was their clever cross-promotional schemes. They branded products like nobody's business. Ghostbusters, Dunkin Donuts, Nerds (shaped like a big-ass box of nerds containing two bags, one per side, each housing a different, awful-tasting cereal), Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Super Mario Bros., etc. This company took advantage of kids like you can't imagine. And we fell for it hook, line, & sinker because kids are stupid.
The end
p.s. adults are stupid too

6 comments:

Nigel G Mitchell said...

I didnt know it was one company who did that. I agree. I dont remember watching Ghostbusters and thinking "Gee, I really wish someone would make a cereal out of this." But I did buy Batman cereal. I think the dirty little secret should finally be told. It's all the same cereal! They just change the shapes! Stop the madness before it's too late! Ahhh!

By the way, try my new Monkey Migraine Cereal. Now with more monkey hair.

portuguesa nova said...

Oh my God. Totally forgotten about these. Yuck yuck yuck. Nerds cereal???

Violet said...

how do they market petfood - with Lassie on the package?

Les Becker said...

I remember a big serious discussion in the playground about "Count Chocula", "Booberry" , and "FrankenBerry" cereals. This was a major concern for us... what exactly they were putting in the Frankenberry if it wasn't real strawberries, whether we could trust the "normal" cereals, if a company would do such horrible things to a kid's food... I'm not sure what we thought "they" were doing, but I remember a "Pringles" scare at around the same age. CANCER! CANCER! Don't eat the Pringles!

I'll stick to Raisin Bran.

glomgold said...

monkey- It was all the same nasty cereal. Everything had an indiscernible fruity flavor.

Les- I have Raisin Bran cereal bars. Not too tasty.

katie said...

These were the cereals that I spent my childhood lusting over, only to awaken every morning to a bowl of cheerios. Damn parents and their ideas of "healthy living".