Aug 1, 2005

Goodness you're a sight! Quite "punch-in-the-face" worthy.


When I was younger I held the opinion that most people were relatively decent-looking and only a small percentage could truly be categorized as "butt-ugly". Oh how a decade can change things! I have noticed an alarming skew of the 'human beauty curve' towards the hideous. Empirical data has not determined whether this is due more to a personal opinion shift or an overall population trend.

"The study's conclusions should surprise no one", huffed the team of Dr. Jolie & Dr. Pitt. "For as long as we can recall, dark-tinted glasses have been a necessity when facing the repulsive general populace in their natural habitat."
Others question the research's validity. "I strongly feel that too many factors were omitted when calculating the results", stated Wormsworth the Snaggletoothed, director of the New Order Society of Oleaginous Asymetrical Persons (NO SOAP). "Overriding researcher bias levels undermine other important traits that must also be considered. Level eyes are overrated; I mean, how about personality?"

15 comments:

Violet said...

If what you say is true, then personality must have overtaken physical beauty as a criteria for dating and mating - evolution.

sumo said...

Don't ya just hate perky types?

Rainypete said...

Perty folks make us fugly folks very, very nervous. They hide their deviant psyches behind all the hair product and makeup.

Mayo said...

coinciding with pete....perty folks are almost untouchable with there sparkley ora surrounding there enormouse heads.

glomgold said...

violet- that may correlate with my friend's hypothesis on myopia: Nearsighted people would thrive rather than be culled by Darwinism since they'd be less exclusive in selecting mating partners.

sumo- the word perky, like pert, seems only tolerable when used to describe, oh, breasts.

rp- they are sneaky. Um, I mean, WE are sneaky. heh heh (rats)

cody- that's why celebrity photos exist, so the elite may be gazed upon and admired but in a controlled environment. We'd better put 'em in a zoo to help preserve them!

Anonymous said...

This post was excellent. Aside from the heinous exclusion of a cereal review, I mean.

It seems to me people are getting better-looking instead of uglier, though. It's more and more difficult to find people I can hang out with who will make me look better by comparison. It's a lonely life, I tell you.

PBS said...

I like the theory that nearsighted people would thrive! To me it depends on where I'm going and when, downtown people after hours are grim, but the crowds are crisp and neat during the daytime.

Happy and Blue 2 said...

With the move towards fugly I can finally feel at peace with the world..

Anonymous said...

I would go with Wormsworth, but the name, and snaggletoothed and NO SOAP combine to make me very nervous

seriously? said...

...SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST?

sumo said...

That's exactly what I meant about perky...you know...breasts. Don't ya just hate people with big perky breasts? More often than not "they" are watched bouncing into a room before...oh say...her face! I don't think anyone really knows what Pamela Anderson looks like...they see her twins first. Imagine the disappointment when they grow up and realize that. Heh!

L said...

it's the opposite where I live-- everyone is perfect looking due to the enormous amounts of plastic surgery

Adrienne said...

I'm proud to be a fugly!

glomgold said...

suzi- you could start hanging out at walmart?

pbs- as a forever-bespectacled type, that philosophy works for me.

hb2- Ah, the world is such an ugly place

pia- soap helps. I wish people would realize this.

cbear- ultimately yeah, survival of the fittest will hold. but in the short term, we're apex predators, lazy, and with advances in health. thus we, the not quite fittest can thrive. just gotta be able to outrun the slowest of the group right?

sumo- ok, i see what yer saying. I'd better take a look at what pamela anderson's face looks like.

L- ugh. for you then maybe it's nice to see a crooked nose on occasion.

adrienne- this study has stirred strong reactions. more research!

Maurice Mitchell said...

HAHAHA! You should have added a metric against the number of hits by the "ugly stick".