Jul 18, 2005

His brains was like whoa

I've heard tell of an American who went to China to teach English classes. Upon his arrival he was shown to his living quarters, given packages of instant noodles, and left alone. Now seeing as how this gentleman spoke no Chinese and was, apparently, incredibly dumb, he knew not what to do with this food and proceeded to starve for 3-4 days until someone sorted him out. I have a sneaking suspicion the breadth of his students' knowledge of English spans no farther than 'Duuude!' to 'Whoa!'.

Hot Cereal Review: Quaker Oatmeal Supreme (special request!)
Violet, pregnantly ensconced in the upside-down wintry depths of New Zealand, requested some porridge-y reviews (as did some anonymous Scot). The weather here these days has transmuted from 'humid' to 'sweat stew' and I've therefore tried to avoid hot cereals. But I'm a trooper and will plumb the memory banks for my thoughts regarding Quaker Oatmeal Supreme. You know, if Quakerism involved shaking and shimmying due to one's love of cereal I'd sign up. And I think it might be entertaining if they made a Quaker Oatmeal X-treme line by adding in Mexican jumping beans, but I digress. This newer product is the ol' cereal lovin' religious nut-job brand's attempt at cracking into the lucrative "more wholesome, healthful, & pricy" breakfast market. I sampled the Apple-Raisin variety and speaking of nuts it was indeed more hearty, nutty, & yes, pricy. It's still made from rolled oats but the texture is more substantial. Much better than the average and I'd certainly be willing to try the other types come cold-weather morns.

Interesting note: Boiled water preparation is strictly verboten! Perhaps mandated by god? Use a microwave or "the spirit of Christ within" might just be an upset stomach. Well not really, but they warn it will be underdone.

11 comments:

Violet said...

It's hard to believe that someone would not know what to do with instant noodles.

We don't get Quaker brand down here, but your nutty choice sounds pretty good. I wouldn't eat it if it contained beans though (jumping or not).

Anonymous said...

I . Love . Porridge .

Rainypete said...

Hot cereals rock!!

This guy is teaching?!? Anyone who can't cook instant noodles should not be allowed to "educate" people in a language as dreanged as English!!!

Happy and Blue 2 said...

What are the criteria for teaching a English anyways. If you can you find the airport you're in.
I love porridge. Just not in the summer. Or spring. Or fall. Actually it's not that great in the winter either..

katie said...

Thinking about oatmeal in this heat makes me want to be sick. Way to take one for the team!

Martini Love said...

Oatmeal makes me sick and the teacher is a moron, but I am in a funky mood today so whatever I say means nothing. Today only :)

Lake Allison said...

Why do the quakers get their own hot cereal? Why not other religions? Why not Jew or 7th Day Adventist brand oatmeal?

Descrimination, I tell ya..

sumo said...

Well that turned me on to the Oatmeal site and I found some nice recipes... thanks.

Sara said...

I want to try this hot cereal, while the air conditioner is blasting in my tiny room. Furthermore, it's seemed to me that criteria for teaching English overseas is slim. This is terrible, Dude. Whoa. Totally I am addicted to the cereal reviews.

portuguesa nova said...

They'll hire anyone to teach English!

glomgold said...

violet- I know, unreal right? Too bad you don't get Quaker; they're not bad. Maybe they go by a more indigenous name by you.

anonymous Scotsman- I've gathered!

rainypete- Maybe the people hiring were bargain hunters.

blue2go- Hot cereal is still a 2nd class citizen in my realm.

hb2- Well airports can sometimes be a bit tricky to get to. I guess not if you're IN it already though.

katie- Thanks! Like I said, I'll tough it out for things of real import.

martinilove- So, does that mean the teacher actually isn't a moron?

allison- I bet if satanists offered cereals they'd all be hot ones.

sumo- Some of those recipes do look pretty good, perhaps they'd be even better without the oatmeal!

sara- Yes, do try it. I will keep the cereal reviews coming.

pnova- I'll keep this in mind should my jobhunt continue to falter. I just made instant noodles yesterday tho; I'm overqualified!!