May 3, 2005

desperate housewives

I saw desperate housewives the other day and I don't understand all the hubbub. One lady was in a rush to pick up her clothes from the drycleaner before it closed. Another was vocally upset that the sale item fruit juices were out of stock. A third cut in front of me at the bank because she needed to rush her child to piano lessons. Even if she'd accidentally slipped on a banana peel, which might be amusing, it still wouldn't constitute watercooler talk in my opinion.

Fake Fakt Friday (crap I like to make up)
Former US Vice President Spiro Agnew was sent away to a mental institution for 2 years following the Watergate scandal of the 70's Nixon administration. He had suffered a nervous breakdown and was exhibiting symptoms of 'acute frontal lobe dimentia'. On occasion he would role-play and assume an alternate personality. Val Kilmer's character Madmartigan from the movie "Willow" is based on this very personality!

5 comments:

glomgold said...

I recall liking Willow though it's been a while. Condition: I've always been a fan of those sword, sorcery, fantasy movies (alternately read as dork. ahem)

Nick Danger said...

Is Republic of Vespuccia a refrence to Amerigo Vespucci?

I liked Willow too. I thought is was Star Wars in another setting. The Baby was the reble plans for the death star. Willow was luke. Madmortigan was Solo. That old wizard lady was Kenobi. That evil princess chick was Vader, and the mian bad guy was the Emperor. Those two little fellows were R2-D2 and C3-PO. The story line fits and the action rises and falls similarly. Danger

L said...

I still have yet to see that Desperate Housewives show...

glomgold said...

nick- Yup. Amerigo.
L- I actually saw the first episode of that show before deciding that I really don't keep up with shows that contain plotlines.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Desperate Housewives should be renamed "Desperate Viewers". A bunch of horny old women running around screaming for 60 minutes doesn't interest me much.