Apr 8, 2007

Reviews of the Mundane: Cereal

Barbara's Bakery Honey Rice Puffins. With my dairy crisis still in full effect, cereal consumption has been seriously curtailed. If the "normal" amount of cereal I eat is akin to the majestic Niagara Falls, then this whole milk problem has been like Humanity throttling the flow of the cascades in his attempt to slow erosion to the great cataract. I love cobbling together shitty similes.

Anyway, I'd remembered the Cinnamon Puffins being tasty and reasoned the Honey Rice ones would be as well. And this is where logic failed me. Perhaps it's because I've had to resort to rice milk and it's rice overkill (doubtful as there is no such thing as "Rice Overkill" to the Chinese), or maybe it just kinda sucks, but I've been pretty disappointed and it's turned into an "eat it so as not to waste food" thing. It's pricy too and not particularly healthy. What was I thinking? Tsk...

9 comments:

Violet said...

Rice milk isn't so bad-tasting, compared to soy milk.

L said...

I can never enjoy any of those milk substitutes. blech!

Les Becker said...

Can you bake with the stuff (not the milk, the crappy cereal)? I remember an aunt or a grandmother or a some-other-old-lady when I was little that baked really good cookies with really gross cereal. If you could find a successful recipe, then you wouldn't be wasting food... or choking back crappy-tasting cereal, either.

Unknown said...

I've had the regular Puffins a couple of times before and it was ok, but I like Mother's Cinnamon Oat Crunch better. That stuff stays crunchy for hours.

PBS said...

They might be better with soy milk--or on a salad. Sound weird but I know of someone who puts (plain) cereals on a salad!

Rainypete said...

I'm disappointed that they don't look a bit like puffins at all. Where are the beaks?

Omni said...

Have you tried using Lactaid to enable you to consume milk? You can get a free sample here:

https://www.lactaid.com:443/vcrc/offers/nmcampaign.jhtml?id=vcrc/offers/la_freesample2.inc&oid=5018&bid=21&formType=C

How about eating plain yogurt with active cultures? That cures some people. I hope you can go back to eating mountains of cereal soon!! xo

Omni said...

Uh-oh, Blogger truncated my URL... lemme try to make it into a link:

Click here for free sample

Dmonster said...

There is and should be no such thing as "rice overkill." If you ever find anyone who suffers from it, I will cure him/her.